Monday, April 12, 2010

Life is one big roller coaster. Every single day is different from the last. I can't help but wonder though... does it change for the worse? I find myself constantly evolving, but look around me and see that I've become exactly what I always use to try to stay clear of.

I've officially declared myself a Journalism major... and Agnostic. Neither one, in my eyes, is bad; however, I grew up in a Christian community, in a Christian household, with Christian friends. All I have experienced while growing up is judgment, discrimination, and hate. Robert Frost said, "don't be Agnostic. Be something!" I'd rather be Agnostic than responsible for any of the things that I just mentioned. Someone who is Agnostic neither believes in nor denies the god/s of any religion. I would personally feel a whole lot better about myself if I found religion in my own way and on my own terms. I don't want to participate in a religion simply because that's the way I was raised.

I'm not proposing the idea that any religious person is judgmental, discriminating, or hateful... ALL of us are those things. I just don't want my god to be held responsible. I believe the only true believer of a religion loves people no matter who they are or what they do. That's what all of us should really do. I am, also, not saying that religions don't promote this belief, but hardly anyone acts on is. After all, "no Agnostic ever tortured or burned somebody at the stake"... I know somebody said this, but I'm not taking the time to look it up. Instead I'm going to take my dog on a walk and come back to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment