Wednesday, February 17, 2010

COMM 210

I had to give a speech today in my communication class. EPIC FAIL!! This was my opening line: "S... A... D (as I'm writing this on the board). Looks like an emotion, right? BUT... if you put these dots in between the letters it becomes an ACRONYM for Seasonal Affective Disorder!" You don't even want to know how the rest of the speech went. Oh well. You can't give a speech like Jesus EVERY time you walk up to the lectern.

I was in a surprisingly great mood today. I mean before my speech things were a bit rocky. I felt like I was going to throw up every five minutes or have a seizure from all of my nervous shaking. You know... it's really strange, when you think about it, as to why people get so nervous before giving a speech. I mean, all you're doing is talking to people. You do it every day unless you avoid people at all costs. And yet every time I walk up to the front of the class I contemplate jetting right out that door and running for my life. Or at least my dignity.

I've learned that whenever you get nervous the best thing you can do is laugh at yourself for being so nervous. Then, just so you're not alone, make the people around you laugh as well. Even if you're not quite laughing already, when other people laugh you can't help but go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment